An Analysis of Modality in the Experts’ Opinion Articles toward U.S. Presidential Election 2012.

Fontana, Elfrida (2014) An Analysis of Modality in the Experts’ Opinion Articles toward U.S. Presidential Election 2012. Skripsi Sarjana thesis, Universitas Muria Kudus.

[img]
Tinjau ulang
PDF (HALAMAN SAMPUL) - Accepted Version
Download (391Kb) | Tinjau ulang
    [img] PDF (BAB 1) - Accepted Version
    Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

    Download (121Kb) | Request a copy
      [img] PDF (BAB 2) - Accepted Version
      Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

      Download (205Kb) | Request a copy
        [img] PDF (BAB 3) - Accepted Version
        Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

        Download (208Kb) | Request a copy
          [img] PDF (BAB 4) - Accepted Version
          Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

          Download (809Kb) | Request a copy
            [img] PDF (BAB 5) - Accepted Version
            Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

            Download (247Kb) | Request a copy
              [img] PDF (BAB 6) - Accepted Version
              Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

              Download (112Kb) | Request a copy
                [img]
                Tinjau ulang
                PDF (DAFTAR PUSTAKA) - Accepted Version
                Download (122Kb) | Tinjau ulang
                  [img] PDF (LAMPIRAN) - Accepted Version
                  Restricted to Hanya untuk pengguna terdaftar

                  Download (1164Kb) | Request a copy

                    Abstrak

                    Fontana, Elfrida.2013. An Analysis of Modality in the Experts’ Opinion Articles toward U.S. Presidential Election 2012. Skripsi. English Education Department Teacher Training and Education Faculty Muria Kudus University. Advisors: (1) Diah Kurniati, S.Pd, M.Pd., (2) Rismiyanto, SS, M.Pd. Keywords: modality, Experts’ opinion articles. Communicate each other is the main need of the human life which realized through language. In linguistic system, language has metafunction which one of it is interpersonal meaning. It is used to manage the interaction among people or participants where modality lies in it. The position of modality is in the intermediate range between the pole yes and the pole no. Refers to factual text, modality can be functioned as the way to tell us how a person feels about what they are telling us, their stance or attitude, whether they are assertive or tentative, how committed or how detached they are and other crucial aspects of interpersonal meaning. Modality has two types, the first is modalization which functioning as exchanging information and the second is modulation which functioning as give and demand goods and services. The articles of experts’ opinion also contains with modality that realized by the personal feeling and point of views of the U.S. presidential election 2012. The objective of this research is to find the types and the degree of modality found in the articles of experts’ opinion toward U.S. presidential election 2012. Descriptive qualitative is used as the method of the research. The data of this research is the types of modality (probability, usuality, obligation, and inclination). The other side, the data source used in this research is the experts’ opinion articles toward U.S. presidential election 2012. The outcome of the research showed that the first article which comes from American expert has probability (79%) and obligation (21%). The degree of modality in this article showed that medium got the dominant place (47%) then followed by low (32%) and high (21%). The interpretation comes from the result of the degree is the expert preferred explore his hopes, advices and also prediction of the election. The second article was written by African expert. The result showed there are probability (84%) and obligation (16%). The degree of modality got the medium as the dominant (84%), low (11%) and high (5%). The interpretation of this article is the writer preferred to share his suggestions rather than critics. The other article comes from Asian expert that showed the types of modality as probability (84%), usuality (4%) and obligation (12%). This article showed the medium degree as the dominant (80%), low (11%) and high (9%). The interpretation of Asian expert is the writer focused on giving information related to the election. The fourth article was written by Australian expert. The founding of this article are probability (62%) and obligation (38%). The degree showed medium (59%), low (33%) and high (8%). The interpretation of this article is the expert preferred to elaborate his prediction toward the election. The last article come from European expert, the result is probability (100%) which classified by the degree of modality medium (54%), low (42%), and high (4%). The interpretation comes from this article is the expert focused on giving his point of view and prediction toward the election. Through the result of this analysis, the research has given the contribution in language analysis especially modality. This skripsi is able to be used to manage the proper words in delivering someone’s feeling and point of views about something common and particular topic. Through this research, students can learn and use modality in daily life more appropriately and effectively, for further researchers as a resource to conduct a research, and for common readers to improve their communication.

                    Tipe dokumen: Skripsi (Skripsi Sarjana)
                    Additional Information: Advisors: (1) Diah Kurniati, S.Pd, M.Pd., (2) Rismiyanto, SS, M.Pd.
                    Uncontrolled Keywords: Keywords: modality, Experts’ opinion articles.
                    Subjects: Bahasa dan sastra > Bahasa Inggris
                    Divisions: Fakultas Keguruan & Ilmu Pendidikan > Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris
                    Depositing User: Mr Firman Al Mubaroq
                    Tanggal Deposit: 08 Apr 2014 10:29
                    Last Modified: 08 Apr 2014 10:29
                    URI: http://eprints.umk.ac.id/id/eprint/2667

                    Actions (login required)

                    View Item